Meeting Minutes – How to Take and Create Effective Notes
How often have you gone to a meeting, been asked to take notes, and then come away with little idea of what was discussed? Or, on the other hand, have you tried to piece together meeting minutes from unclearly written notes? If any of this sounds familiar, don’t worry – you’re not alone. Taking effective meeting minutes is a skill that takes practice to perfect. In this blog post, we’ll give you tips on creating practical meeting notes to ensure everyone is on the same page.
3 Types of Meeting Notes
There are three types of meeting notes that you can take: action items, discussion points, and decisions. Action items are task-oriented and should be assigned to specific people with deadlines. Discussion points are summaries of the various topics discussed during the meeting. Finally, decisions are – you guessed it – the decisions made during the meeting. It’s essential to distinguish between these three types of notes because each one serves a different purpose.
How to Take Effective Meeting Notes
Now that we’ve gone over the types of notes you can take, let’s go over some tips on how to take effective meeting minutes:
- Pay attention: This might seem like a no-brainer, but it’s essential to focus on the discussion to capture what was said accurately. One way to do this is to avoid getting caught up in side conversations.
- Be concise: Be sure to be as straightforward as possible when writing your notes. No one wants to read a novel-length set of meeting minutes. Another way to ensure conciseness is to use bullet points whenever possible.
- Use clear language: Avoid using jargon or acronyms that not everyone will understand. If you need to use acronyms, spell out the full name first and then provide the abbreviation in parentheses afterward. For example: “The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) made a presentation on SEO tactics….”
- Assign action items: As we mentioned earlier, action items should be assigned to specific people with deadlines attached. Actions will help keep everyone accountable and ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Although there are many different ways to format meeting minutes, we recommend using the following template:
5 Tips for Creating Effective Meeting Minutes Template
To help you get started, we’ve created a template that you can use for your next meeting:
[Meeting title] [Date] [Time] [Location]
Present: [List names of attendees]
Absent: [List names of those who were not able to attend]
If you follow these tips, you should be well on your way to taking effective meeting minutes that will help keep everyone on the same page and ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner. Do you have any other tips for taking effective meeting notes? Let us know in the comments below!
If you're looking for a tool to help make your meeting planning process easier, check out our Meeting Notebook.
Selecting the perfect meeting notebook is the first step to taking practical notes. Consider factors such as size, layout, and paper quality when choosing a notebook that suits your needs. A dedicated meeting notebook can help you maintain organization, allowing you to quickly reference past meetings and create a clear record of the information discussed. Opt for a notebook with sturdy binding, good paper quality, and a layout that works for your preferred note-taking style, such as ruled, grid, or dotted pages.Read now
How to Use a Meeting Notebook for Creative Brainstorming and Idea GenerationUsing a meeting notebook can make brainstorming sessions much more convenient and organized than traditional methods. The luxurious paper makes for an enjoyable writing experience that lets you capture each thought without switching between multiple sheets of paper or documents. Additionally, modern notebooks feature two-page spreads that allow two people to write on the same page without disrupting each other’s thoughts – perfect for collaborative environments!Read now
How To Start And Use A Whiskey Tasting Journal
- Be detailed in your descriptions. When it comes to tasting notes, more is always better. So include as much detail as possible about the whiskey's appearance, aroma, and flavor. What did you like or dislike about it? Would you recommend it to others?
Landscape NotebookWrite Notepads & Co.Original price $34.00 - Original price $34.00Original price$34.00$34.00 - $34.00Current price $34.00In stock
NOTEBOOK DETAILS: You need a notebook that lets you take wide-format notes without worrying about the ink bleeding through the paper. Standard note...View full detailsOriginal price $34.00 - Original price $34.00Original price$34.00$34.00 - $34.00Current price $34.00
Meeting NotebookWrite Notepads & Co.Original price $34.00 - Original price $34.00Original price$34.00$34.00 - $34.00Current price $34.00In stock
NOTEBOOK DETAILS: The Meeting Notebook is perfect for busy professionals on the go. Crafted with sophisticated style and attention to detail, t...View full detailsOriginal price $34.00 - Original price $34.00Original price$34.00$34.00 - $34.00Current price $34.00
Reporter NotebookWrite Notepads & Co.Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$21.00$21.00 - $21.00Current price $21.00In stock
The Reporter Notebook is the perfect place for all your ideas, thoughts, and professional work. You can write notes on the go or sketch out design...View full detailsOriginal price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$21.00$21.00 - $21.00Current price $21.00
Weekly PlannerWrite Notepads & Co.Original price $37.00 - Original price $37.00Original price$37.00$37.00 - $37.00Current price $37.00In stock
NOTEBOOK DETAILS: Don't waste your time on complicated calendars and appointment books. The Write Notepads & Co. Undated 60-week Weekly Planne...View full detailsOriginal price $37.00 - Original price $37.00Original price$37.00$37.00 - $37.00Current price $37.00
Pocket LedgerWrite Notepads & Co.Original price $16.00 - Original price $16.00Original price$16.00$16.00 - $16.00Current price $16.00In stock
Whether you need a daily task planner, map your next trip, or jot down a simple grocery list — this little book is here for you. Perfectly sized to...View full detailsOriginal price $16.00 - Original price $16.00Original price$16.00$16.00 - $16.00Current price $16.00